Floating Tidal Turbine
Dublin Offshore delivered the concept design for the hull of the DesignPro Renewables 60kW machine.
The technology concept, originally developed by GKinetic Energy, consists of two-vertical axis turbines positioned on either side of a flow accelerating structure, called the ‘bluff body’. The shape of the bluff body coupled with the patented ‘Blade Pitch Control System’ accelerates the flow of water into the turbines resulting in higher power outputs. The device offers many benefits including:
- Two patented concepts that enable more power to be harnessed from the flow.
- Compact design for a quick, simple deployment.
- Option to easily relocate the device as it is not permanently fixed.
- Optimised safety features for the ecosystem and operators.
- Easy-access platform, allowing year-round O&M procedures.
- Quick and very cost-effective blade replacement and repair.
- Ability to raise turbines from the access platform without removing the device.
- Remote monitoring for live performance and power generation data.